Long, full lashes have the power to make eyes appear wider, brighter and more lifted. When it comes to achieving those voluminous lashes however, falsies and mascara aren’t the only options. Eyelash serum can help to enhance the appearance of your natural set – no makeup necessary.
If you’re new to eyelash serum, keep reading. We explain how lash serum works, how to apply it, and where to find the best one.
What is lash serum and how does it work?
A lash serum is a serum that’s applied to the lashes daily to help them appear thicker and fuller by supporting them through their three stages of growth.
1. The Anagen or “growth” phase
During this phase, lashes are actively growing. 35-40% of the upper lashes and 15% of lower lashes will be in the growth phase at one time to prevent all lashes from falling out at once.
A lash serum can help to support lashes during the Anagen phase.
2. The Catagen or “transition” phase
In this phase, the hair follicle shrinks and the lash stops growing. If an eyelash is pulled out at this time, that follicle will stay empty until the Catagen and Telogen phases are complete, and the Anagen phase can begin again.
Eyelash serums can help to keep lashes looking strong and healthy through the Catagen phase and transitioning into the Telogen phase. Lash serums can create a fuller-looking lash line.
3. The Telogen or “resting” phase
This phase begins when an eyelash is ready to fall out. It can take up to 100 days for a new lash to grow after the old one sheds. Approximately 50% of eyelashes will be in this phase at one time.
Our best eyelash serum: No7 Lash Impact Serum
With a unique blend of ingredients, No7 Lash Impact Serum makes lashes look visibly fuller, thicker and darker in just 8 weeks.
- Keratin (the protein in hair responsible for its strength, shape and structure), amino acids (the building blocks of this protein) and Vitamin B5 help to support the hair follicle for visibly thicker-looking lashes
- Antioxidants and Vitamins E and C help to protect from environmental stressors
- Conditioning and hydrating agents are combined with glycerin and hyaluronic acid to keep the hair moisturized and create a fuller looking lash fan