If your skin has been feeling drier lately, you’re likely suffering from dehydrated skin. Just like our bodies, our skin naturally loses water every day – and if it loses more than it receives, it can quickly become thirsty and dehydrated. Read on to discover the skin signs of dehydration and learn how to hydrate skin.
Dehydrated vs dry skin: what’s the difference?
Dehydrated skin can easily be mistaken for dry skin, as they have similar characteristics. However, the two are very different:
- Dry skin is a skin type that naturally produces fewer oils, leaving skin feeling rough and tight. It’s typically genetic and can be managed.
- Dehydrated skin is a situation where the skin is lacking in water. It’s often triggered by external factors or lifestyle. All skin types can struggle with dehydration.
What does dehydrated skin look like?
The skin signs of dehydration include:
- Increased sensitivity
- Dry skin that feels tight (particularly around the nose, chin and eyebrows)
- Wrinkles, uneven skin tone and discoloration
What causes dehydrated skin?
Not drinking enough water is a common cause of dehydrated skin. However, external factors including air conditioning, sun exposure, and spending too long in a hot shower can also leave skin feeling tight and dehydrated.
How to hydrate skin 8 ways
1. Add hyaluronic acid into your skincare routine
Hyaluronic acid is a powerful skincare ingredient capable of holding up to 1000 times its weight in water. It not only prevents moisture loss but absorbs moisture from its surroundings and works to drive that moisture into skin to lock in hydration. Applied topically, it helps to maintain the skin’s hydrated, plump and youthful appearance.
No7 HydraLuminous Water Concentrate is powered by pure hyaluronic acid and our HydraDrench Complex to refresh the skin, providing an instant burst of moisture and long-lasting hydration.