Do you suspect that you might have combination skin? If your skin feels oily in one area but dry in another, you’re likely dealing with a hybrid of two different skin types. Read on to discover what combination skin is and find the best skincare for combination skin.
What is combination skin?
Combination skin is a hybrid of two different skin types: oily and dry.
Typically, it’s characterized by an oily T-zone (the nose, forehead and chin) with enlarged pores, as well as tight and dry patches on the rest of the face (particularly the cheeks and hairline).
What causes combination skin?
Out of the 5 skin types, combination skin is the most common. There are many reasons why your skin may produce excess oil yet still be prone to dryness:
- Genetics play a large part in your skin type. If combination skin runs in the family, it’s likely to be passed down. However, with preventative measures and skincare for combination skin, it can be managed.
- Products that are too harsh or abrasive can strip the skin of its natural oils and cause the body to produce excess sebum to compensate.
- Diet and lifestyle can also contribute. Consuming excessive amounts of foods rich in fatty acids or oil (like fish or processed foods) can trigger excess sebum production.
- Changes in weather can also aggravate the areas of skin that are already dry or oily.
- A buildup of dry cells can cause dry, rough skin and dullness, particularly on the cheeks.
Skincare for combination skin
Trying to balance dry and oily areas of the face is often challenging. A skincare routine for combination skin should be hydrating to soothe and nourish dry areas, yet light on oils to balance the oily t-zone.
Read our guide to combination skincare below to find the best products for your skin.
Best cleanser for combination skin
If you’re struggling with combination skin, it’s best to avoid oil-based cleansers, as they can contribute to an oily T-zone. However, to maintain balance and hydration, the best face wash for combination skin shouldn’t be harsh or strip the skin of natural oils either. Instead, it should support skin’s healthy balance.
Formulated with 10% kaolin clay to absorb oil and impurities, No7’s Radiant Results Purifying Clay Cleanser is perfect for combination skin. Formulated to help protect skin’s natural, healthy balance, it gently cleanses and reduces the appearance of enlarged pores, while mattifying the skin for a more radiant-looking complexion in just 1 week.
How to apply: Dispense a small amount onto slightly wet fingertips and gently massage into the skin. Then, rinse away with warm water.